Monday, August 26, 2013

Thought for the Day #2 - What's with this poetic and advertising license?

My previous TFTD - Birthday Candles

#1 Ever heard of this song "ஒவ்வொரு பூக்களுமே சொல்கிறதே" in the movie Autograph?

Well, if you did, ever wondered why the lyricist wrote "ஒவ்வொரு பூக்களுமே" when it should have been "ஒவ்வொரு பூவுமே"?  We've been thought right from childhood that its "Every single flower" and not "Every single flowers"!!

#2 Now think of this, McDonald's ad line "I'm loving it!".

I distinctly remember my English teacher at school telling me that sense of touch, sight and smell don't take the present continuous form. It's always "I see it".  It can never be "I'm seeing it" or for that matter "I smell it" and not "I'm smelling it"!!

So, hey you poets, lyricists and advertisers... you're the lucky guys out there.. you know you have the license to err...  and I'm "jealousing" it, cause I'm not one among you!! :P :P :P

No comments:

Post a Comment